Class of 1996
It’s hard to believe it’s been 25 years since our high school graduation. It feels like it was just yesterday that we shared so many experiences at JBS, with so many incredible, memorable teachers and administrators: Bahe, Carleton, Derleth, Goran, Gray, Haskins, Henningsen, Nicholas, Salomon, Sandler, Schandorff, the Snodgresses, Sortland, and many more. Today, thanks to them, and thanks to JBS, we still share our appreciation for the value of the Burroughs educational experience.
We had a great time seeing many of you over Alumni Weekend - during the Thursday evening art opening, Friday cocktail party, Saturday picnic and Saturday night class of 1996 party. Big thank you to Adam and Gretchen Birenbaum for hosting us at their home on Saturday evening. In honor of our milestone 25th reunion, we named the outdoor classroom at Burroughs in memory of Antonio Glassberg ’96, a friend who left us too soon. Even though Antonio was only at Burroughs for 7th grade, he remained close with our class. Antonio valued the independent school education he received at Community and Burroughs and set up a foundation prior to his death to provide tuition assistance for students with demonstrated need to attend independent schools. Eleven students have attended Burroughs over the past twenty years, thanks to Antonio’s foundation.
As of October 4, twenty-three gifts have been made to name the outdoor classroom. We dedicated the classroom on Friday night of Alumni Weekend. It was wonderful to see one of Antonio's brothers at the dedication and have his father and brother on Zoom when we gathered. There is a temporary plaque under a tree next to the outdoor classroom, the permanent plaque will be installed in a few months. It reads:
Class of 1996
Antonio V. Glassberg Outdoor Classroom
Given by the Class of 1996 as its 25th Reunion Gift to John Burroughs School
In memory of Antonio whose legacy continues to inspire his classmates
and the Burroughs community
Dedicated October 1, 2021
Thanks to those who made the trip back to St. Louis to celebrate 25 years since graduation. We hope we see you all before our 30th reunion in 2026!
Your loyal 25th reunion committee.
Adam Birenbaum, Jeff Burgess, Courtney Docter Gable, John Kemper, Kirby Mack, Keili Langford Raven, Liza Grote Weiss
Thursday, September 30
- 5:30 to 7:30 pm, Bonsack Gallery Opening Reception, featuring the work of Jon Bunge '80
Friday, October 1
- 5:30 to 6:15 pm, Class of 1996 dedication of the outdoor classroom in memory of Antonio V. Glassberg
Meet in the Quad at 5:30 to walk to Laughing Lake
- 6:30 to 7:30 pm, Alumni Awards Presentation in Haertter Hall
- 7 to 9:30 pm, Alumni Cocktail Party/Food Truck Friday in the Quad
Saturday, October 2
- 10 am, Tribute to the late Head of School Ed Cissel in Haertter Hall
- 11 am to 1 pm , Alumni Picnic in the Quad
- 12:30 pm, Varsity Field Hockey Game Halftime — Tribute to JBS Women in Coaching (20+ Years of Service)
- 6:00 pm, Class of 1996 25th Reunion at the home of Adam and Gretchen Birenbaum.