Class of 1996
It’s hard to believe it’s been 25 years since our high school graduation. It feels like it was just yesterday that we shared so many experiences at JBS, with so many incredible, memorable teachers and administrators: Bahe, Carleton, Derleth, Goran, Gray, Haskins, Henningsen, Nicholas, Salomon, Sandler, Schandorff, the Snodgresses, Sortland, and many more. Today, thanks to them, and thanks to JBS, we still share our appreciation for the value of the Burroughs educational experience.
We look forward to seeing many of you over Alumni Weekend. In honor of our 25th reunion, we’d like to give back to Burroughs with a class gift. Most of you remember Antonio Glassberg ’96, a friend who left us too soon. Even though Antonio was only at Burroughs for 7th grade, he remained close with our class. Antonio valued the independent school education he received at Community and Burroughs and set up a foundation prior to his death to provide tuition assistance for students with demonstrated need to attend independent schools. Eleven students have attended Burroughs over the past twenty years, thanks to Antonio’s foundation.
As a class, we would like to raise $50,000 to name the outdoor classroom near Laughing Lake, on the JBS campus. If we can raise the funds this month, we can dedicate the outdoor classroom the Friday night of Alumni Weekend. The permanent plaque would read:
Class of 1996
Antonio V. Glassberg Outdoor Classroom
Given by the Class of 1996 as its 25th Reunion Gift to John Burroughs School
In memory of Antonio whose legacy continues to inspire his classmates
and the Burroughs community
Dedicated October 1, 2021
This is a unique appeal for your charitable support of Burroughs. We gently request that you consider a class gift to the Class of 1996 25th Reunion Gift for the Antonio V. Glassberg Outdoor Classroom in addition to what you may already contribute to the Burroughs Annual Fund. Alumni support of the Annual Fund provides essential operating support, and we do not want to erode that base of funding for Burroughs.
We miss you and look forward to hearing from you! We know that the class of 1996 will come together and show our Bomber pride.
Your loyal 25th reunion committee.
Adam Birenbaum, Jeff Burgess, Courtney Docter Gable, John Kemper, Kirby Mack, Keili Langford Raven, Liza Grote Weiss
Thursday, September 30
- 5:30 to 7:30 pm, Bonsack Gallery Opening Reception, featuring the work of Jon Bunge '80
Friday, October 1
- 5:30 to 6:15 pm, Class of 1996 dedication of the outdoor classroom in memory of Antonio V. Glassberg
Meet in the Quad at 5:30 to walk to Laughing Lake
- 6:30 to 7:30 pm, Alumni Awards Presentation in Haertter Hall
- 7 to 9:30 pm, Alumni Cocktail Party/Food Truck Friday in the Quad
Saturday, October 2
- 10 am, Tribute to the late Head of School Ed Cissel in Haertter Hall
- 11 am to 1 pm , Alumni Picnic in the Quad
- 12:30 pm, Varsity Field Hockey Game Halftime — Tribute to JBS Women in Coaching (20+ Years of Service)
- 6:00 pm, Class of 1996 25th Reunion at the home of Adam and Gretchen Birenbaum. Enjoy drinks and food. RSVP to Courtney Gable